Raised in Connecticut, Matt has lived in Virginia since 1993. He came to Virginia after high school to attend the College of William and Mary. There Matt kept busy as both a college student and captain of the Men’s Swimming and Diving Team, graduating with a B.A. in Government, minor in Philosophy in 1997. Matt went on to attend law school at the University of Richmond. Matt was an active law student, earning memberships on the Moot Court Board and Trial Advocacy Board and serving as Executive Editor of the Journal of Law and Public Interest. While in law school, he clerked for the Richmond City Attorney’s Office and served as a Teaching Assistant to now retired Virginia Supreme Court Justice Elizabeth Lacy. Matt graduated from law school and received his J.D. in 2000.
Matt is an active member of the local legal community. Along with being a member of the Loudoun Bar Association, he served for several years as Chair of the Loudoun General District Court Bench-Bar Committee and Chair of the Loudoun County Criminal Defense Bar. He is a past member of the prestigious American Inns of Court, George Mason Chapter, an esteemed organization of reputable Northern Virginia attorneys and judges. Matt has been a regular participant as a mentor or mock-trial witness in the “Leadership in the Law” Camp held each summer for local rising high school seniors.
Matt devotes a significant amount of his personal time to helping youth and the disadvantaged in the local community:
- He is the former Chairman and Board member on the Board of Directors for Community Residences (CR), a leading regional non-profit organization that provides support services for the intellectually disabled, and which is best known in the community for the group homes it operates.
- Matt serves on the Board of Directors of the Builders Foundation, Inc., a local non-profit organization that provides financial support to local disadvantaged children and families, and which has been a longtime supporter and contributor to the Loudoun Special Olympics program.
- Matt is a member of Leadership Fairfax, Inc. (LFI), and a graduate of their community leadership program, the Emerging Leaders Institute (ELI). ELI is a year long program of leadership training with the purpose of developing the skills of the next generation of leaders. For several years, Matt has worked on the planning and administration of this important program, and served as Chair of the ELI Program for the 2008-2009 year.
- Matt is a member of the Loudoun County “Beat the Odds” Committee, which raises money and awards financial scholarships for secondary education to at risk youth who have demonstrated significant personal and academic achievement by overcoming life obstacles such as family break-up, abuse & neglect, substance abuse, and poverty.
- Matt formerly served on the Loudoun County Community Services Board (LCSB) from 2005-2008, an appointed board of Loudoun citizens who oversee the administration of Mental Health, Mental Retardation and Substance Abuse Services in the County.
Matt, his wife and their children reside in Loudoun County.